Duncan's Blog

Duncan \d(u)-ncan, dun-can\ as a boy's name is pronounced DUN-kin. It is of Scottish and Gaelic origin, and the meaning of Duncan is "dark warrior; brown fighter". A royal name in early Scotland. Literary: in Shakespeare's "Macbeth", Duncan is king of Scotland.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Klutzo the Clown-Cat and a few of my favorite things

Tuesday morning I was struggling to get myself ready to leave for work on time. I somehow managed to make it and by 7:28 I was standing in the kitchen having my first smoke of the day counting down to 7:30 when I call my buddy, Jo.  Five or 10 minutes later, we meet at the foot of my street to start our schlepp into the City.  Duncan, as usual, is on top of the fridge watching the birds in the backyard while waiting for his morning ice cube.  Only this morning, he must have been startled by a bird because the next thing we both knew -- BAM -- he was on the floor!  I'm not sure who was more startled, Duncan or me!  Of course, he immediately picked himself up and strutted past me as if to say "I meant to do that."  Yeah, sure he did!  Just like I meant to choke on my cigarette!

Fast forward to this evening.  We've had our dinner, the dishes are done, phone calls are made and now we're settled down watching Ghost Hunters.  Duncan sprawls out on his scratching board and looks at me to make sure I'm not just watching Jason, Grant and the TAPS team search for paranormal shenanigans but taking time out to admire my handsome little boy every so often.  And of course he wasn't disappointed!  Well, as I'm admiring his furry gorgeousness, he leans his head back to glance up at the tv and WHAM!  He's on the floor and his scratching board is on top of him!  This cat constantly makes me laugh!  I know I've said that many times already and can only imagine that I'll probably say it a million more times but he is just the funniest little goofball EVER! 




And now for the best part of our evening.  Anyone who knows me for more than 10 minutes also knows that I'm a HUGE Michael Crawford fan.  There are SO many things in life that I truly enjoy but Michael Crawford is always at the top of my list, these days, right below Duncan, and I have WAY too many collectible items from various aspects of Michael's career.  One of those prize possessions is the top hat that I'm told he wore in the play Sorry by Vaclav Havel (or maybe as Dave Finn in the British sitcom Chalk and Cheese?) that was given to me by a very dear friend.  I keep it in a glass case on top of my curio cabinet and have a teddy bear that I won at one of Michael's fan club (yes, I actually belong to his fan club!  At 50 years of age I wound up joining my very first fan club -- who would have known?!) birthday celebrations on top of the glass case.  Well, evidently the teddy bear did NOT belong there -- DUNCAN did!  He's been working at getting on that case for weeks now and I kept chasing him off but last night he managed to sneak up there, knock the teddy off and finally take his rightful place on top of that case!  So naturally, instead of chasing him off, I simply had to take pictures of two of my favorite things -- Duncan and Michael Crawford, together at last! 


2 Comments:

  • At July 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM , Anonymous Maria said...

    Kath, he's just precious! I know Esa, Syb and Gus had major intervention in bringing Duncan to you. The obvious joy he brings to you is just wonderful.

     
  • At July 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM , Anonymous Kathe said...

    Yup. I'm sure you're right -- Gus, Syb, Esa and Cheryl all decided that I needed this crazy cat in my life to make me stop crying when I lost Esa and it worked!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home